FHWA

Researching worldwide

Font Size

Cpanel
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: History Research Environment (HRE)

History Research Environment (HRE) 17 Sep 2016 09:09 #1420

• Neil Bradley
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4
I have copied an email which I have received describing the current status of the HRE below. The HRE team are seeking to replace all of the functionality of TMG with and upgraded open source product.

Announcing a new genealogy project: History Research Environment (HRE)

I am writing as you have previously expressed an interest in a replacement to TMG (The Master Genealogist) which as you know is no longer supported by Wholly Genes.

I am pleased to be able to tell you that work has been quietly continuing for some time, and that today we are able to announce an open source project to create a new program called HRE (History Research Environment). It is our intention that HRE will be compatible with existing TMG databases.

Over the past year or so a small team of experienced TMG users has been preparing the ground for HRE. Our website and wiki are now live, and a company (History Research Environment Ltd) has been registered to ensure that we can properly handle project funds and deal with copyright and other legal issues.

HRE is being written from scratch, and will not directly use or copy the program code within the Wholly Genes product TMG. However, we recognize that in order to ensure compatibility with existing TMG user data, there will necessarily be some similarities between TMG and HRE, including underlying data structures, default sentence structures, modes of operation, and potentially “look and feel”.
We are very pleased to be able to say that Wholly Genes (Bob Velke) has kindly granted us permission to reuse any aspects of TMG (other than the source code) for which they control the copyright. As HRE will be an entirely new program, we have not sought permission to re-use or de-compile TMG source code. Ownership of copyright in some elements of TMG, including translations and some timelines, remains with the original authors and if there is any benefit in our reusing such third-party content, we will make separate arrangements.
We are most grateful to Bob for his generosity and encouragement in our endeavour to build on his groundbreaking original work in event-driven history research software.
A significant amount of work has already been done on the functionality and design of HRE, and we are now ready to open the project to volunteer developers who can help us develop HRE into a viable open source product for free public release.

In order for this project to succeed we will need to be able to attract both funds and volunteers.

If you have skills that the project could make use of, please volunteer: historyresearchenvironment.org/become-a-volunteer/

If don't have skills in this area, or if you don't have time to help out, please make a monetary donation: historyresearchenvironment.org/donate All donations are very gratefully received, and will be used solely for the purpose of advancing the HRE project. Thank you!

Here are some useful links:

Project website: historyresearchenvironment.org
Volunteer skills required: historyresearchenvironment.org/become-a-volunteer/
Donate: historyresearchenvironment.org/donate/
Wiki: hrewiki.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

With very best regards

Michael

The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds