Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Filezilla Alert Warning

Filezilla Alert Warning 21 Mar 2015 08:02 #1124

• Neil Bradley
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4
Below is a re-post from John Cardinal on the Second Site mailing list warning that the latest version of Filezilla contains unwanted nasties. Do not Update.

"In the past, I recommend the FTP client FileZilla. Unfortunately, I learned recently that the most common install programs for recent versions of FileZilla include several unwanted software programs that are unrelated to the purpose of FileZilla. In short, the installer deliberately includes viruses.

One of the programs is Binkiland, a browser hijacker that corrupts your browser home page and search engine. The other is PC Optimizer Pro, a registry cleaner program that falsely claims that several issues have been detected on your computer and tries to sell you its full version to correct the (non-existent) problems.

If you are currently using FileZilla, do not upgrade to the latest version. If you are not using FileZilla, do not install it. Find some other FTP program. I routinely use FireFTP, a browser add-on for Firefox that provides FTP capability in a browser window. SS users who publish on FHH and only publish via SS do not need an FTP client because they can use the Publish feature embedded in SS.

You should also avoid downloading anything from SourceForge. SourceForge was once a trusted location for installer programs, but now they are including the two programs mentioned above in their installers and there is often no way to disable the unwanted programs. The installer dialog windows have been deliberately designed to fool users into installing the unwanted software and in some cases, even if you see through the ruse, the viruses are installed anyway.

Note that I do not want SS-L to become a public forum for the discussion of viruses or adware. I am posting this note solely because I urged people who needed an FTP client to use FileZilla but now the publishers of FileZilla have run amok."
Cheers, Neil Bradley (#8276)
WAGS Treasurer
Joint Co-ordinator TMG SIG
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Filezilla Alert Warning 21 Mar 2015 11:42 #1126

• Chris Loudon
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 8
Folks,

I don't think that FileZilla is the problem, to my knowledge the software hasn't been infected - it is the download sites that are the problem.

I am running the latest ver of FileZilla and haven't had any problems with it so far (touch wood), I have had it for years and only update with the original updates via the program, not via a separate installer.

Download sites pretty much all now package PUP's (Potentially Unwanted Programs) in their downloader & installer software i.e. Malware. For example, SourceForge, and Tucows used to be a reliable and trustworthy sources of "free" software, but they have now gone into the business of bundling PUP's and it is creating a bit of havoc because people don't really read the fine print or don't use the correct download option to avoid PUP's. Then when unpacking the software in the download installer, they don't un-tick the additional bits of software that are bundled

As a rule of thumb, if you want a bit of free software, download it from the original source, ie the maker of the software, don't use one of the download sites.
Cheers,
Chris
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds