Font Size

Cpanel
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: TMG Discontinued

TMG Discontinued 31 Jul 2014 13:13 #986

Hi all,

In case you haven't heard the horrible, terrible news, TMG is being discontinued! www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?...-to-be-discontinued/

They will be providing bug fixes until September and will cease all support in December.

This is pretty upsetting.

Janet
The administrator has disabled public write access.

TMG Discontinued 31 Jul 2014 13:28 #987

• Neil Bradley
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4
It is very sad. However TMG will still work. It just wont be updated.

John Cardinal is going to continue to develop and support Second Site.

The key US users including John Cardinal, Terry Reigel and Lee Hoffman have all commented that they don't see it making a great deal of difference to them for the next few years and they are all going to keep using TMG.

A couple of posts on the forum suggest that Users get up to date to Version 9.03 which is fully functional for 64 bit windows etc.

Some of the new features that have been added to Version 9 (for example) are "nice" but I could have lived without them. The fact that there will be no Version 10 doesn't worry that much (though there are a couple of things that i would like to have had changed!).

The TMG Special Interest Group will continue as long as members are interested in coming along.
Cheers, Neil Bradley (#8276)
WAGS Treasurer
Joint Co-ordinator TMG SIG
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geoffrey Barber

TMG Discontinued 08 Aug 2014 22:38 #988

• Edwina Shooter
  • Senior
  • Thank you received: 6
Hello TMGers,

Terry Reigel has written an excellent article about why you should not panic about the TMG announcement. It is on his web site at:

tmg.reigelridge.com/future.htm

I have no intention of moving to anything else as there is nothing to move to that is equal or better to TMG. As Terry says, there is no need to rush out and do anything.

Cheerio
Edwina Shooter :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geoffrey Barber

TMG Discontinued 09 Aug 2014 16:34 #989

I am quite happy with the features in TMG and the lack of new versions over the next few years will not bother me. However, there will come a time when we have to move away from TMG as it is likely to eventually become incompatible with Microsoft software.
I can see myself using TMG for many years and my hope is that during that time we should get some very good data transfer capability from TMG to other software. The other software vendors will sense a business opportunity, and they are sure to develop sophisticated import facilities from TMG now that Bob Velke has made the internal database structure public. The development of this data exchange software will probably be the silver lining in this announcement. The big unknown is how good this data exchange facility will become, and as a result, how much work we each have to do to restore our databases in whatever new software we purchase. I think the TMG Utilities need to be really enhanced to allow us to do a lot more manipulation of our data in our databases. I am sure we will see a lot of work in this area.
In the longer term we as a group need to decide the best migration path (i.e. which software etc), and we need to keep our fingers crossed that something comes up to the standard of TMG.
The next problem on the horizon is what happens to Second Site in the longer term - probably the same scenario as TMG I would say.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robert Atkins

TMG Discontinued 27 Sep 2014 15:51 #1001

• Ian Dew
  • Senior
  • Thank you received: 1
If you are concerned about TMG being discontinued then you might like to know that Legacy Family Tree will soon import files directly from The Master Genealogist software: Legacy News
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds