FHWA

Researching worldwide

Font Size

Cpanel
Forums > FHWA SIGs Forums > House Groups > South of the River House Group > Of Interest for November 2015
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Of Interest for November 2015

Of Interest for November 2015 01 Nov 2015 10:11 #1219

Every month, as Conveyor, I list a round up of news and interesting items which is emailed to regular members of the SOR House Group. Here is the one for November 2015. Cut and paste for the links:

Of Interest for November 2015
• Here is a very interesting article on DNA testing thelongandshort.org/life-death/dna-testing-and-you

• Was your ancestor at the Battle of Agincourt? I tried with multiple surnames and didn’t get a hit….. I suspect you may need to know the ‘medieval’ spelling….Search the muster roll database from 1369–1453 at www.medievalsoldier.org/search.php then If you find an individual, you will be given a reference number for the relevant muster roll that you can put into discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ for the record details.

• Here is a handy link to the Crew Lists and Agreements from the Merchant Navy for 1915 www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/first-world-...avy-1915-crew-lists/ I found that you can also search for keyword and find a place of birth.

• This looks like something the WAGS library could purchase: Did any of your ancestors travel to Australia in a convict ship? If so, take a look at 'Surgeons at Sea'. A team from Newcastle Family History Society Inc., New South Wales, Australia, has compiled the CD, which includes an index to the surgeons' journals that were kept on convict ships to Australia and are now microfilmed. The main 'The People' database lists over 50,000 people recorded in surgeons’ journals: convicts and their children, soldiers, crew, free settlers and their families, and even colonial officers. For details of how to order, email This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

• The Salvation Army Archive – records available for more than 75 or 100 years ago and other inquiries possible. Many of these would be records of mother and baby homes. Contact email This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it . Obviously this would cover UK only. The Salvation Army was founded in 1865.

• Do you want to research an occupation? I have some coachmen in my family and found this wonderful free ebook ‘An old coachman’s chatter’ 1890; it does have information from ‘days gone by’ – that is, further back than 1890 too www.gutenberg.org/files/43895/43895-h/43895-h.htm
• Your family tree relationships explained. www.wimp.com/familytree/

• Facebook is an increasingly popular way to find contacts for family history. There is a pdf list on this site which is really comprehensive. You can’t save the pdf address, get to it each time from here: socialmediagenealogy.com/resources/

• Here is the latest CLANN newsletter – Irish flipflashpages.uniflip.com/2/71043/356415/pub/

• Australian Convict websites which may be of interest: www.hawkesbury.net.au/claimaconvict/ and www.convictrecords.com.au/ and some help with abbreviations in records at www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~austashs/convicts/conabbrev.html

• Go to the Trove Forum to keep abreast of newspapers added. Here’s some new western Australian ones as of May 2015: Beverley Times (The) (WA : 1905 - 1977)
Black Range Courier and Sandstone Observer (The) (WA : 1907 - 1915)
Evening Star (The) (Boulder, WA : 1898 - 1921)
Laverton Mercury (Laverton, WA : 1899 - 1919)
Meekatharra Miner (WA : 1909 - 1918)
Moora Herald and Midlands District Advocate (The) (WA : 1914 - 1930)
Southern Argus and Wagin-Arthur Express (The) (Perth, WA : 1905 - 1924)
Southern Cross Times (The) (WA : 1920 - 1940)

• This is new for me – The Western Australian Police Historical Society at policewahistory.org.au/index.html A wealth of information about the Police Force. Dates on this website suggest it may not be updated recently – maybe we could get a speaker from this source for next year?

• On Monday 2nd November 2015, the 1939 Register will be made available online for the very first time, only on Findmypast. Simply put, it’s the most comprehensive survey ever recorded of the civil population of England and Wales. With the lives of 41 million people captured in one day in September 1939, it’s a fascinating snapshot of a nation on the eve of war. The 1939 Register contains the names, addresses and occupations of everyone in England and Wales at the time, and was used as the basis for rationing, identity cards and, in post-war Britain, the NHS.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds
You are here Forums > FHWA SIGs Forums > House Groups > South of the River House Group > Of Interest for November 2015