Font Size

Cpanel
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Selected Of Interest 2019

Selected Of Interest 2019 02 Dec 2019 08:20 #2029

Selected Of Interest 2019
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Selected Of Interest 2019 02 Dec 2019 08:39 #2030

Of Interest for December 2019
First, a couple of ‘how tos’ - www.searchforancestors.com/utility/ handy tools at your fingertips for finding dates, historic money values, relationships, ages given two dates and decode Roman numerals (I get rather lost with these). And Searching with wildcards – this info for FamilySearch, but use the basics for many sites, and also Google - www.familysearch.org/blog/en/searching-w...ards-familysearch-2/
Like to do some FREE online searching from home? MyHeritage Library Edition is available from the Nedlands Library, and you can join online for all of their online resources! Quite a few US newspapers are able to be searched from this site, and you may pick up some family photos too. It took me about 30 seconds to join online, use the login, and start searching! www.nedlands.wa.gov.au/libraries/online-resources
Billion Graves (blog.billiongraves.com/) has a great Blog that could inspire you to do more in-depth research into graves, markers and cemeteries. Check out this interesting post too – what’s the difference between Billion Graves and Find a Grave? blog.billiongraves.com/what-is-the-diffe...rave-for-researchers
Get new insights into Queensland – free websites for your research: www.lonetester.com/2019/10/discovering-l...-genealogy-research/
The Future of Lancashire Family History and Heraldry Society by Mike Coyle and Stephen Benson The Society has been experiencing a decline in membership numbers for several years. Causes include an aging membership, not attracting younger replacements, the growth of online resources and a perception that the online providers can make it easy to produce your family history in a short time without carrying out researching in the traditional manner. This has led to a falling off in volunteers, declining attendance at meetings, projects undertaken being smaller both in scope and numbers carried out. www.gouldgenealogy.com/2019/11/the-futur...nd-heraldry-society/
I was sorry to see this information – only 12 years ago I benefitted greatly from the Society and their transcription of so many records. I suspect that new family historians will take at least 5 years to find out that everything is not online – then they will slowly step up, and start researching in archives and journals, old maps and the vast number of parish records, tax records, wills etc not yet transcribed. BDM’s and census records are all very well, but it’s the stories that matter! Meanwhile Family History Societies must keep abreast of the times and protect and nurture the expertise of members.

Every person in the UK mapped – try this out! maps.gisforthought.com/gb_population/

Police Gazettes now on PapersPast (New Zealand) paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/ – go to ‘Magazines and Journals’. Canterbury Police Gazette (1863-1877); New Zealand Police Gazette (1877-1945); Otago Police Gazette (1861-1877)
What do you think? I have posted on the ‘General’ Forum on the WAGS website – could space in the Cloud for family trees and research be a member benefit? What do you think? I would gladly pay $5 extra subscription (maybe more) for space and support to upload my research so it could be safe – and also to be shared when my Will is proved. Any comment?
Jewish Genealogy - The Australian Jewish Genealogical Society (Victoria) is a non-profit organisation dedicated to collecting, preserving and disseminating genealogical information, teaching research techniques and offering databases to people interested in researching Jewish ancestry. This website also notes State contacts, including Western Australia. www.ajgs-vic.org.au/about-us/
The Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) honours the 1.7 million men and women of the Commonwealth forces who died in the First and Second World Wars, and ensures they will never be forgotten. Search online here for a wealth of information www.cwgc.org/

Selected Of Interest 2019 02 Dec 2019 08:40 #2031

Of Interest for June 2019
This Blog brings Australian cemeteries in one place tinyurl.com/y6o48g5a
By the time you read this, the election will be over – gather up all those pamphlets and fridge magnets and send them to the National library! tinyurl.com/y25jxb3y
Big news from the Australian government is that it they have just announced that it digitise Australia’s World War Two records of service men and women, as part of a new program that is ‘focused on recognising the service of our veterans’. About 80 per cent of the 1,062,000 WWII service records are yet to be digitised in the National Archives of Australia, and with next year marking the 75th anniversary of the end of WWII, the government said that it wanted ‘to ensure Australians can remember and understand the service and sacrifice of those who came before us’. The digitised records will be freely available to all Australians, and will provide a ‘comprehensive source of information’ for students, journalists, authors, academics and families interested in knowing about the services of the Australian Defence Force. tinyurl.com/yxlqs5px
Coming online are many European records – FamilySearch is rich in them, but you can find free archives elsewhere. For anyone interested in Swedish records, this site lists ‘83 millions’ www.arkivdigital.net/ . Pay site Findmypast are upping the ante with 114 million European records including 9.1 million Norwegian baptisms, marriages and burials spaning nearly 300 years of Norwegian history (1634 to 1927).
Anyone who is checking DNA results will have found that the lower the cM number (CentiMorgens) the lower the chance the person is a cousin, as you get many more matches with higher cM’s. I’ve found verifiable matches as low as 6 cM, but generally they peter out from 16 cM onwards. Since different companies rate matches in confidence ranges such as high, medium etc - but my advice is not to discount ‘low’ matches, particularly if there is supporting information on Trees, or a defined place of origin.
This is my kind of Blog – hope you enjoy it too! ‘The Social Historian’ tinyurl.com/yxbrynkn . The prevalence of twins in my Irish White family from Donegal interested me in this item, which goes on to list a number of multiple births: The British custom of a Royal donation, that came to be known as the “Queen’s Bounty”, was given to mothers who gave birth to three or more babies at one time. Queen Victoria is said to have initiated the grants ‘to enable the parents to meet sudden expenses thrown on them‘ when triplets or quadruplets were born after she and the Prince learned of a poor woman who had recently given birth to triplets while on a visit to Ireland in about 1849. To qualify for the donation, the babies had to born alive and their parents had to be married and British subjects. After Queen Victoria’s death when her son Edward became King of the United Kingdom, the grants were continued as the King’s Bounty.

Selected Of Interest 2019 02 Dec 2019 08:42 #2032

Of Interest for March 2019
NEW: MyHeritage and Ancestry both have new features to help you find genetic and tree-based matches. MyHeritage’s is called 'Theory of Family Relativity' and Ancestry’s is called ‘ThruLines’. I had a play with both, and found it useful to know how some of my matches actually connect with a common ancestor. Otherwise, there are tree matches that could give you incorrect information if you copy them without careful checking. Note, this relies on if the match has a tree with a common person in it.
MORE: There’s more at Ancestry too - MyTreeTags™: MyTreeTags™ (they seem to have copyrighted everything!) now allows you to add tags to people in your family tree to indicate whether your research on them is confirmed or verified, or to record personal details, like “never married.” You can also create your own custom tags to note that a person immigrated from Denmark or worked as a blacksmith. You can even use filters as you search your tree to see everyone with the same tag. MyTreeTags™ is one way we can help you save time and enrich your ancestor profile.
New & Improved DNA Matches: We have redesigned the DNA Matches experience to help you make more discoveries, faster. Now you can easily sort, group and view your DNA Matches any way you’d like. New features include colour coding and custom labelling offering you more control over how you group and view the matches, quicker identification of your newest matches and new ways to filter your matches (this is really useful). Also, you can turn the functions off.
• For more information about these new features, visit www.ancestry.com/product/new-release
• Join the MyTreeTags™ and New & Improved DNA Matches beta at www.ancestry.com/BETA

Apparently, March is Women’s History Month in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Australia. I think I have found information on my female ancestors than on my males! As far as I am concerned, its always women’s history month…..
RECORDS: Ancestry has an interesting set of new records: Victoria, Australia, Deserter, Discharged, and Prisoner Crew Lists, 1852-1925.
The 1921 census will be published on Findmypast in January 2022, it has been announced.
The census provides detailed information on the almost 38 million people living in England and Wales at the time. The original returns, held by the Office of National Statistics, will be digitised, indexed and transcribed by Findmypast staff in partnership with The National Archives. Tamsin Todd, CEO of Findmypast, said: “This announcement is great news not just for British family historians and those with British relatives, but for anyone with an interest in history itself, providing a fascinating snapshot of post-war Britain.” The census is a particularly vital family history record because the 1931 census returns were destroyed in the Second World War, and no census was taken in 1941. It cannot be released until January 2022 because it was the first census taken under the 1920 Census Act, which bans releasing the records to the public until 100 years have passed.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds