Font Size

Cpanel
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Selected Of Interest 2018

Selected Of Interest 2018 02 Dec 2019 08:19 #2028

Selected Of Interest 2018
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Selected Of Interest 2018 02 Dec 2019 08:43 #2033

Of Interest for November 2018
Further to her talk on the ‘Irish Roses’ project, Bev Russell says: I can’t recall if I mentioned, after my talk earlier this month, that if anyone wants a bonnet to embroider and can’t sew one themselves, they can get in touch with Kathy Salonga as she has several to give away if required. Here’s the Facebook page for ‘Irish Roses’ – be inspired to embroider a bonnet www.facebook.com/BrideshipstoAustralia/
Ancestry DNA kits: AncestryDNA Australia – $109 (save $20)
on sale until Tuesday 20 November 2018
A fascinating article about your family history and "the grey people", addressing the question of "What happens if I just keep extending my family tree up and up and up?". If you're knee-deep in genealogical research you might appreciate this - have a read! ow.ly/O17230m2QHc
British History’s biggest fibs
This is important for Australian family historians regarding marriage certificates: bit.ly/2SMPRXW
A large number of new and updated records for Australia on Ancestry: ancstry.me/2ySpXKi and useful links for researching Victoria here: bit.ly/2SLUP7p
London Roll www.londonroll.org/
Maurice Gleeson's talk on Surname history: “I presented this lecture at the Annual Conference of the New Zealand Society of Genealogists 2018. I discuss how to use Y-DNA to accurately group those project members who are genetically related, and thereafter how to analyse the resulting genetic groups. Questions addressed include: where does the group originate? How long have they carried the surname? What is the branching structure of the group's “family tree”? and what does this tell us about the evolution of the surname and its variants?” ...
The news all Irish genealogists have been hoping to hear for years finally arrived this month: the Representative Church Body (RCB) Library in Dublin is to embark on a major digitisation project of its Church of Ireland registers. It is expected that the digitised images of the registers will be made available to researchers on the state-managed IrishGenealogy.ie. As with all records on that site, the collection will be free to search/view, but there will be a wait, so patience is required! bit.ly/2p0aRwP
Here’s a guide to finding Royalty in your family – I’ve tried, but nothing yet! The key is to find a ‘gateway ancestor’ in your family tree – someone from the middling ranks of society, perhaps in a respectable profession like an army officer or a clergyman, who could have descended from a younger child of a nobleman, or a daughter who married below her station and didn’t inherit a title or much wealth, so that subsequent generations are totally unaware of their illustrious roots. bit.ly/2D11Eww And to help your research along, look up books in the Hathi Trust digital library – you will find Parish Registers and Heraldry, family histories and biography www.hathitrust.org/digital_library

I keep up with Carol Baxter’s newsletters – she is a very polished and entertaining speaker and her book ‘help! Why can’t I find my ancestor’s surname?’ is an excellent read – however you will have to concentrate, she knows her stuff and its quite academic. Here is a link to her latest newsletter and in it you will find excellent information for untangling Mc and Mac www.carolbaxter.net/newsletters/2018/His...ive-2018-October.pdf

Selected Of Interest 2018 02 Dec 2019 08:45 #2034

Of Interest for May 2018

A very comprehensive listing of DNA companies and what they offer isogg.org/wiki/List_of_DNA_testing_companies . Also Irish DNA overload! Binge on these - www.youtube.com/channel/UCHnW2NAfPIA2KUipZ_PlUlw/videos

Those with family buried in Adelaide will be interested in this: Welcome to the premier 'private collection’ of cemetery headstone photos within South Australia. Currently with over 289,500 headstone photos from 702 cemeteries, this collection is one of the most comprehensive of it's kind, gathered by one person. This media is a valuable research tool for the genealogy enthusiast, libraries, genealogy and/or family history groups. www.gravesecrets.net/. You will also find the complete collection of photos of the Old Colonists of South Australia – a fabulous gathering of faces.

The Meaning and Meaninglessness of Genealogy: Researching our family background is all the rage, but what does it all mean? I found this an interesting, but very irritating article. What do you think? www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/beastly-...nglessness-genealogy

Do you have German Roots? This is a how-to guide, looking for German Military in WW1 – could be useful lisalouisecooke.com/2018/04/23/wwi-german-ancestor/

Ancestry has New Zealand Police Gazettes, and the can have surprising information on them. For instance, I expected the usual colour of eyes, hair etc, but here we have an appraisal of the nose as well! (not to mention tattoos, lumps; nothing is spared)
SBS has just announced Who Do You Think You Are? Australia Season 9, together with details of celebrities who’ll be discovering their family this year. The all-new eight-part series, stars Justine Clarke, Ernie Dingo, Noni Hazlehurst, Natalie Imbruglia, John Jarratt, Todd McKenney, Patti Newton and Charlie Teo, premiers on SBS on Tuesday 17 April, 7.30 pm. Hope you have caught up!

Judy Webster is a name that many will know – a legend in family history in Australia. I am absolutely amazed at the information she has – start here, and just keep on clicking….. www.judywebster.com.au/sites.html

Selected Of Interest 2018 02 Dec 2019 08:47 #2035

Of Interest for February 2018

Don’t forget to look at Familysearch regularly – a very large repository of information on the background to your family’s lives such as all about food and drink: https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/England_Occupations_Food_and_Drink_(National_Institute)

And thinking of everyday lives, how did they speak? There is some very bawdy stuff here that, if having a very bad day, your relatives may have considered (or if you have traced them to the mean streets of London in the 1700’s could have been everyday speech for them) archive.org/stream/b2876190x#page/n3/mode/2up and here is what your Victorian relatives may have come out with publicdomainreview.org/collections/a-dic...ictorian-slang-1909/

The Northern Territory Times on 1 May 1896 reported large numbers of women voting in that election, with enrolled women out-numbering men in two of the South Australian electorates. The Woman's Suffrage Bill, passed in 1894, meant that South Australian women had become the only Australian women to be able to vote and stand for parliament and, since South Australia was responsible for the Northern Territory at that time, Northern Territory women also gained the franchise. More here at www.territorystories.nt.gov.au/jspui/handle/10070/215417

Many of my earlier Irish family went to Canada – and quite a few Yorkshire people too. If you find this too, then Canada has a free online database of the 1921 census: www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1921/Pages/introduction.aspx . The handy thing about this website is that places and terms are explained.

This is very comprehensive content: Find lost Russian and Ukrainian Family lostrussianfamily.wordpress.com/free-databases/
I may have listed this before – but its so handy, it is worth repeating. The free site ‘Irfanview’ allows you to load files in numerous formats, including PDF, then save them in different formats. JPG is a good choice if you want to minimise the file size, but PDF offers 'lossless compression', ensuring that none of the detail is lost. Very useful if you want to enhance or change a PDF certificate, or crop or pick out detail from a PDF: www.irfanview.com/

If you're trying to find a birth, marriage or death entry in the GRO indexes, and especially if you're planning to order a certificate or PDF, it helps enormously if you know the Registration District (RD) in which the event was likely to have been registered - which will normally be the district where your ancestors lived. Because of boundary changes, many of them resulting from the way in which towns and cities grew quickly during the 19th century, the 'obvious' district won't always be the one you want. You can find coverage of each district here at www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/ and an index of places (even more useful) here: www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/places/index.html

I love the Digital Panopticon! It’s so comprehensive and has illustrations you can use to enliven your family history (with references of course!) Great information about convicts and criminal justice here at www.digitalpanopticon.org/

The British Association for Local History has made ALL but the last 3 years of back issues to their magazine ‘The Local Historian’ free to download. The first issue was in 1952 – and they have the potential to be a very valuable resource. So much information, so little time….. www.balh.org.uk/publications/local-historian Naturally, I looked up and found the Yorkshire Archaeological & Historical Society Journal is free too, from 1830. There are manorial inscriptions, family pedigrees and history and obituaries in these books, so check them out archive.org/details/yorkshirearchaeologi...ety?sort=titleSorter
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds