FHWA

Researching worldwide

Font Size

Cpanel
Forums > FHWA SIGs Forums > Scottish Group > 30th Anniversary Meeting and Celebration on Sunday 20th May 2pm in WAGS Unit 4
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 30th Anniversary Meeting and Celebration on Sunday 20th May 2pm in WAGS Unit 4

30th Anniversary Meeting and Celebration on Sunday 20th May 2pm in WAGS Unit 4 15 May 2012 09:55 #421

• Ian Scott
  • Expert
  • Thank you received: 9
Our next meeting of the Scottish Special Interest Group will be held this coming Sunday 20th May 2012 at WAGS Unit 4, starting at 2pm (sharp).

As this is our Thirtieth Anniversary meeting, we will be having a couple of (very) short speeches followed by a special Guest Speaker.

Ken Suttie, Immediate Past Chieftan of the St Andrew Society in Perth will be giving a talk on "Matters Scottish".

Then a Robbie Burns poem, followed by a special afternoon tea.

Something a bit different from our usual meetings, but planned to entertain and inform.

We hope all the SIG members can be present.

Ian Scott
On behalf of the Group
The administrator has disabled public write access.

30th Anniversary Meeting and Celebration on Sunday 20th May 2pm in WAGS Unit 4 24 May 2012 06:25 #428

I'd like to thank Ian and his band of helpers for organising a fantastic celebration for the 30th anniversary of the Scottish Interest Group. Due to personal circumstances neither Margaret Pike nor I were able to assist with preparations, except on the day. We are both therefore even more grateful to Ian for all the hard work he's done. For those unable to attend you missed a treat with not only a wonderful celebration cake, but a very moving reading of a Robbie Burns poem by one of our members with a real Scottish accent - Mary Sandison-Miller. It's not often my spine tingles, but her poem certainly did it for me! Another delight was our guest speaker, Ken Suttie from the WA branch of the St Andrew's Society. He finished the formal part of the proceedings by addressing the haggis in traditional style. Truly, truly, amazing!

Ian had organised haggis for afternoon tea, and I'm pleased to note most people tried it. Haggis gets an undeserved bad rap most of the time but I think everyone who tried it was pleasantly surprised by how tasty it was.

We were also pleased to have Alan Campbell, the group's founder as our special guest and who spoke about the early days of the group. I'm sure he must be very pleased to see the group is not only still in existence but thriving.

For anyone contemplating coming to one of our meetings, please do. We always make visitors feel welcome, and there is usually someone in the room who is either related in some way or has a wealth of knowledge about the region in which you may be interested.

Finally, I would like to thank all the Scottish group members for their wisdom, friendship and for sharing the excitement of having Scottish ancestry. Lang may yer lum reek!

Robyn Hukin (and Margaret Pike), Co-convenors
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds
You are here Forums > FHWA SIGs Forums > Scottish Group > 30th Anniversary Meeting and Celebration on Sunday 20th May 2pm in WAGS Unit 4