FHWA

Researching worldwide

Font Size

Cpanel
Forums > FHWA Forum > Other Countries > Jamaica / Caribbean BDM etc - any tips?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Jamaica / Caribbean BDM etc - any tips?

Jamaica / Caribbean BDM etc - any tips? 21 May 2021 11:42 #2127

My family interest is in the LANDELLS families from Northumberland, and there was a "family rumour" going back to 1860s in Melbourne that the Burke & Wills Expedition 2nd-in-charge, George James LANDELLS, may have been a long-lost brother of my direct relation, Reverend William Burns LANDELLS, who was born 9 Apr 1811.

I'm convinced (by my research) that it is not correct, but from a 1851 UK Census record, there was a George James LANDELLS of an age that makes his birth quite different than the DOB of the Australian explorer of the same name.

The explorer GJ LANDELLS was born in Barbados, West Indies on 5 Feb 1825. He was in the British army, as was his father, Lieutenant Gorge LANDELLS, born 1799 in Dunse, Berwickshire.
The GJ LANDELLS in the 1851 Census was born about 1812, and gave his birthplace as Jamaica, West Indies. That birth year is close to that of my ancestor, the Rev. WB LANDELLS.

The head of household in the Census is possibly connected to the Alnwick, Northumberland LANDELLS families - the mother of my relative, the reverend LANDELLS, was also a Jane BURN. Even that a Landells was a guest in the household is suggestive of some connection.

That's a long way round to asking if someone at WAGS has knowledge and experience in researching the records of Barbados and Jamaica, West Indies (and possibly other Caribbean locations) from the period about 1790 to 1830.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Jamaica / Caribbean BDM etc - any tips? 21 May 2021 21:06 #2128

• Ian Simon
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 12
The major websites have information for the Caribbean - you will need to work through them. I have found records at familysearch.org, ancestry.com and findmypast.co.uk. I suggest you start with familysearch.org because access is easy and free. Then the other two sites by using access through the fhwa.org.au website.
I note your LANDELLS appears in the 1851, 1861 and 1871 UK census as well.
Best of luck.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds
You are here Forums > FHWA Forum > Other Countries > Jamaica / Caribbean BDM etc - any tips?