Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 17th Regiment of Foot

17th Regiment of Foot 12 Apr 2017 11:11 #1580

• Robyn O'Brien
  • Senior
  • Thank you received: 3
I do not know if I am in the correct Forum but I wish to seek assistance with the issue below. I can’t attend your SIG as I am committed on that day.
Samuel Jeffcott, born sometime in the 1790’s in Warwicksire, England according to the informant on his death certificate in 1864, Parramatta, Australia. I have not established a DOB or who his parents were.
He joined the 17th Regiment of Foot [when?] and married a Susannah Lee in Ireland abt. 1821. I have not been able to find a certificate .
As a bandsman he may have joined at a very young age.
He came to Australia on the Persian with his wife in 1830 via Tasmania [stayed about 9 months] and then to NSW 1831 , but stayed in New South Wales when the Regiment went to India abt. 1837
I have found him in Muster Books below in Ancestry.com
• UK, British Army Muster Books and Pay Lists, 1812-1817 for Saml Jeffcott Depots: Piece 12113: Aylesbury (1815)
• UK, British Army Muster Books and Pay Lists, 1812-1817 for Saml Jeffcott Depots: Piece 13009: Southern (Ireland) (1810-1817)Depots
I have been able to find children born to them during the period he was in the 17th Regiment of Foot.
1. John , b 1822, Ballinsloe, Co.Galway Ireland. He must have died as he does not appear in Australia
2. Julia , b 18 Jul 1825, Sculcoates, Yorkshire, England, married in Australia
3. Mary Ann b 14 Feb 1828, Templemore, Tipperary, Ireland, married in Australia
4. Isabella, abt. 1830, possibly Chatham Barracks Kent England, - can’t find evidence. She also married in Australia
5. Samuel 1832, Sydney NSW, while he was still serving, married in Australia
How do I find out when he joined up with the 17th Regiment of Foot? Or any other regiment e.g. Fencibles? He was a bandsman.
Thanks you for any assistance/advice anyone can give , Robyn O’Brien
The administrator has disabled public write access.

17th Regiment of Foot 19 Apr 2017 02:38 #1590

Hi Robyn

Thank you for your query on the Military SIG Forum. I'm the convenor of the Military SIG. I notice there has been no feedback on your query. There are a number of other forums I can suggest that might get you a broader audience. Are you on Facebook at all? The Military SIG has a page and WAGS has two (Western Australian Genealogical Society and FamilyHistoryWA). WAGSnet is also a good forum.

If you don't have access, would you like me to post your query on your behalf? I also have an email list of SIG members that I can circulate your query to?

If you prefer, you can email me directly on This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Best regards

Angela Heymans
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.264 seconds
You are here Forums > WAGS SIG's Forum > Military SIG Forum > 17th Regiment of Foot