WAGS

Western Australian Genealogical Society Inc.

Font Size

Cpanel
Forums > WAGS SIG's Forum > India and SE Asia > Seeking Francis Charles
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Seeking Francis Charles

Seeking Francis Charles 04 Apr 2012 21:03 #350

• Julie Martin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 22
I'm trying to track down the movements of Francis Charles Webber (1850-1901).

He was born in Blackheath, Kent and I located him as a child on the 1851 and 1861 censuses and then on the 1871 census when he was living in Aldgate, London, aged 21. He would have had a good education and his occupation was shown as ''clerk''. There was no record of him in the 1881 census and he next popped up starting a voyage to Australia on the Booldana which left from Calcutta, India on 8 July 1890. He arrived in Melbourne on the 19th August, 1890 and drowned in Hobson's Bay in 1901. The coroner implied that his death was by his own hand.

Where was he between 1871-1890?

When I saw that the ship on which he travelled to Australia commenced its voyage in Calcutta, I wondered how he got to India and whether he had been working there for some years prior to his voyage to Australia.

Can anyone advise me what records might be worth checking to ascertain if he was working in India between 1871-1890? I'm almost positive that he was never in the British Army.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Seeking Francis Charles 05 Apr 2012 06:55 #351

• Jenni Ibrahim
  • Expert
  • Thank you received: 26
Sometimes clerk means cleric, ie minister of religion, especially in older records. He could have been a chaplain in India for example.

If he were in India the FIBIS website is the best one to check: (Families in British India)

Go to the fibis database (first dot point on their homepage). You don't have to be a member to check the database. I have had endless joy finding people her (and some frustration when not finding them :-o).

Jenni
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds
You are here Forums > WAGS SIG's Forum > India and SE Asia > Seeking Francis Charles