WAGS

Western Australian Genealogical Society Inc.

Font Size

Cpanel
Forums > WAGS SIG's Forum > Enrolled Pensioner Guards (EPG) > Can you help? - EPGs and /or warders and gaolers
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can you help? - EPGs and /or warders and gaolers

Can you help? - EPGs and /or warders and gaolers 07 Apr 2012 22:28 #371

• Julie Martin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 24
I've received this email from Peter Keys of Queensland and thought it would be best answered by a member of the EPG group.

I am a member of WAGS, a former West Australian now living in Caloundra, Queensland. Recently I bought a CD from Goulds called "Warders and Gaolers: A Dictionary of Western Australian Prison Officers 1829-1879". I have two great grandfathers who were Enrolled Pensioner Guards, John Seery and Michael Fennell. John and Michael came to Perth with their families from UK on the ship Naval Brigade in 1874, and I understand they were the last of the EPGs brought to Perth.

Based on the title of the CD referring to Warders and Gaolers, I expected to see some reference to my 2 EPGs on the CD, but nary a sign of them. I thought that EPGs would, at some stage of their duties, have been called warders or gaolers, but apparently not.

Can you or someone else at WAGS explain why EPGs are not included on the CD.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Can you help? - EPGs and /or warders and gaolers 21 Apr 2012 10:17 #380

• Gillian O'Mara
  • Newby
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi
Sorry that I have taken so long to reply to you - but I didn't know how how to answer you on the Forum.

Michael Fennell and John Seery are both Pensioner Guards or some others call them Enrolled Pensioner Force they were not Warders or Gaolers as in David Barker's Book, CD or other formats.

Today at the Enrolled Pensioner Guard meeting Past President Liana of WAGS pointed out that no-one had answered your query. I did with her assistance today and tonight found out how to get into the Forum and how to answer you.

Both your men were on the Naval Brigade - but neither were Warders or Gaolers.

They were Pensioner Guards -

John Seery came to WA age 45 with his wife Ellen and children John, Thomas, Mary, Rose, William, Fanny, Joseph, Maggie, Ellen, James and for some reason have the name of Paladnri S (think it might be connected to James but not sure; John was of the 10th Rgt and died (to my knowledge) in 1898 (his death certificate at this time will tell you that and possibly all his children etc) He is buried in East Perth Cemetery in Row 51 Grave 665 and has a headstone on that grave (when I saw it 2 years ago) there is an article in the Inquirer and Commercial News on 6 Apr 1887 p5 (which you can access on Trove the National Library Website for the article).

Michael Fennell - was a Private in the 59th Rgt - he was in the Indian Mutiny with General Gordon and in the Irish Uprising - he held Land on Canning Location No 3 and then Albany Pensioner Allotment of P14 - his funeral notice is in the West Australian on the 17 Aug 1907 (try Trove for this) and his widow also put in a Bereavement Notice the following year, - he also is buried in East Perth Cemetery in the RC section. Did you know that he became the Major Domo at Government House and is in the photo in 1888 of John Forrest hosting Admiral Beatty (from UK) at a function in the Original Ballroom of Government House. Sorry I cant remember his grave No.

I happen to have met a member of your relatives just last week and so would be interested in your connection to this family. Like who are your parents - grandparents - like where is the tie in to this line?
Regards
Gillian

Can you help? - EPGs and /or warders and gaolers 01 May 2012 01:55 #395

My question has now been resolved, Thank you and regards, Peter Keys
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds
You are here Forums > WAGS SIG's Forum > Enrolled Pensioner Guards (EPG) > Can you help? - EPGs and /or warders and gaolers