Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Charles King 4253 - Clara #1

Charles King 4253 - Clara #1 16 Feb 2021 06:19 #2119

• Martin Buckley
  • Newby
  • Thank you received: 1
This convict, Charles King #4253, is my great great great grandfather.

I've got reasonable evidence around his life prior to being transported - but he gets lost in WA after around mid-1859.

Charles King b Warwick, England ~1823
Spouse Emma Sage, no marriage records.
Charles was a policeman in the Metropolitan Police - and was convicted of running a pickpocketing ring (very Oliver Twist).
Tried and convicted April 1855, sentenced to 14 years Transportation.

Any pointers to further research - especially in times of Covid and travel not being at all practical.

The research is a little complicated by a different Charles King being resident in Perth, WA

The "wrong Charles King" is pretty well documented: b ~1818 Lewknor, Oxfordshire, England. m 1858 Hannah Carter (Meloy, Syred, King), d 1871 Perth WA. www.findagrave.com/memorial/190446648/charles-king

Thanks in advance!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Charles King 4253 - Clara #1 18 Feb 2021 14:27 #2120

Welcome Martin
At a quick glance, I cannot add to your Charles King #4253.

I looked in Ancestry in Card catalogue, Western Australia Convicts 1846-1930 and Browsed through Records of State Records Office WA and could not see anything more useful. He seems to appear in the Frematle Sick List and in Receivals and Discharges, but this is probably what you already know.

Looking at TROVE newspapers....Very elusive and tricky because of other Charles King, builder who is very prolific at this time with advertisements and death notices etc.
Given that he received his CP in 1861, I wonder if he left WA to seek his future in another state.
Sometimes, if you are lucky enough, a clue might come in an Obituary or family history. A bit of creative thinking might also suggest a change of name.....

Try looking for more clues using the following guide.
www.friendsofbattyelibrary.org.au/files/Convict Records of Western Australia.pdf

Good Luck. Hope someone else has better luck than me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Martin Buckley

Charles King 4253 - Clara #1 21 Feb 2021 01:25 #2121

• Martin Buckley
  • Newby
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks Julie

The online records are ok - obviously Ancestry and others have done a good job of collecting records.

Trove has been a real help - with the WA connection - and on another branch a NSW branch of family.

I'll keep searching; I expect one day this is going to need some time in Perth to see what's not collected by Ancestry and the online services.

--Martin
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds
You are here Forums > FHWA SIGs Forums > Convict Group > Charles King 4253 - Clara #1