Family History Western Australia - Researching Worldwide

Font Size

Cpanel
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: VPN

VPN 06 Aug 2019 19:08 #1986

Whoops...I posted this in the superseded group initially so here we go again.

We are currently trialling ExpressVPN. Our main purpose is to watch the BBC and ITV drama and documentaries that we don't receive here. Obviously it is also useful when overseas. It was a little hit and miss the first week or so but seems to work well now. If a show is interrupted with bandwith problems, we quickly change locations. Does anyone have a favourite VPN provider or any thoughts, please?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

VPN 12 Sep 2019 16:22 #2015

• Ian Dew
  • Senior
  • Thank you received: 1
Let me say up front - WAGS does not condone the downloading or streaming of content you would have to pay for under normal circumstances. That said there are valid (and legal) reasons for using a VPN. The biggest reasons are privacy and safety. For example:

* Connect to work or home while traveling
* Protect yourself from big brother or big commerce. Joseph Heller — 'Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.'
* Protect yourself from snooping on untrustworthy Wi-Fi hotspots. You may be protected from the internet but it doesn't mean you're protected from others connected to the same network.

I am not going to recommend any VPN brands but will make a few observations:
* keep away from the free VPN apps. They will be restricted in some way or, worse, capture all your traffic. Ask yourself - why is it free?
* pick one of the popular, paid VPN apps. These change from year to year so do your research. Keep an eye out for specials.
* pick one you can use on your PC, your phone and your tablet.
* for the paranoid - pick one that does not log your activity

And in case you are wondering what a VPN is: A VPN, or Virtual Private Network, allows you to create a secure connection to another network over the Internet.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.455 seconds