Membership of the Western Australian Genealogical Society Inc. (WAGS) is open to anyone interested in any aspect of genealogy and family history, whether your interest is in Western Australia or worldwide. Membership benefits are shown below.
If you wish to join WAGS, please click here >> << to register and pay online, or you can download and print our Membership Application Form to mail with your payment; see details under Renew Your Membership below.
A membership card and general information kit will be posted to you. You are required to present the card when you visit the library and to wear the card on WAGS premises. Card holders are available at the front desk or you may consider wearing your card on a lanyard. Your membership card is a one off permanent plastic card - see below for lost card repalcements.
- Excellent library access - WAGS library (Units 5/6) is open for 30.5 hours over five days per week, including Monday evening and Saturday afternoon. see Library Hours & Map.
- The air-conditioned library has a large worldwide collection of books, CD's, microfiche, microfilms and other material. Books and periodicals are available to borrow. There are 12 computers providing free access to 8 genealogy websites. Subscription sites
- Friendly library assistants to help you with your research and free printouts.
- Orientation sessions are held on a regular basis - In 2014 sessions are monthly on the 3rd Wednesday, February to November
- Activities and Education Program of free activities and courses and some fee-based courses.
- Access to microfilms from the LDS (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) - See list of current films here - Orders placed here
- Special Interest Groups provide a vast knowledge and experience base to draw upon
- Publication of your research interest in our online Directory- Go here for Submissions - See Members Interests' Directory here
- WAGS Bookshop is well stocked with genealogical material.
- Parking both off street and on street for the library and meeting rooms. Bus and rail access are nearby, just a short 15 min walk. (View our location on Google Maps)
- 4 issues per year of our journal Western Ancestor
- Access to the Members Only parts of our website and to online communication areas.
- WAGSnet Mailing List
- Certificate Ordering Service for English and Welsh Wills, Birth, Marriage and Death certificates.
- Reciprocal visiting rights to the Western Australian National Trust properties, and some interstate and overseas family history societies.
Non-Members are welcome to come along and have a look at the library at any time. Have a chat to one of our friendly library volunteers who will happily show you what is available in the library.
Non-members may use the library facilities for their own research by paying A$15.00 as a Day Visitor. If you wish to join the society within 1 month of paying this fee, the normal joining fee will be waived if you show your Day Visitor receipt.
|Subscription type||Fee (incl. GST)||Notes|
|Single - New||$80.00||
Includes $15.00 Joining fee
Joint - New
|$110.00||Includes $15.00 Joining fee
2 people at one address receiving one journal
|Single - Renewal||$65.00|
|Joint - Renewal||$95.00||2 people at one address receiving one journal|
|Day Visitor Fee||$15.00||Entitles the visitor access to WAGS Libray for 1 day
(tip - WAGS is open Mondays from 09:30 to 20:00)
Note: From 1st April 2011 each member will need to have a separate email address.
Members who were financial as at 31 March 2011 - renewal date is 31st March each year.
Members joining after 1 April 2011 - renewal date will be 12 months from your joining date.
If you would like to subscribe to the Western Ancestor, without becoming a WAGS member the annual cost is:-
Within Australia = A$25.00
Overseas = A$30.00
If you change any personal details - name, address, telephone or email address - please log-in and update your details on your profile page. It is important that we have accurate and up to date records so that we can contact you, and ensure delivery of the Western Ancestor. Alternatively you can notify WAGS library during opening hours or notify the
Please quote your full name and membership number in all correspondence or contact with WAGS.
Membership volunteers are usually available at the WAGS meeting room (Unit 4) on Friday mornings between 9:30am and 11:00am and are happy to answer any membership related queries. Telephone (08) 9271 4311
During library opening hours, a message may be left at the front desk and a Membership representative will attend to the query on the following Friday.
Letters may be sent to: