WAGS

Western Australian Genealogical Society Inc.

Font Size

Cpanel
Forums > WAGS SIG's Forum > Western Australian > Immigration to Western Australia
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Immigration to Western Australia

Immigration to Western Australia 17 Jan 2016 15:23 #1258

How many types of Immigrants to Western Australia do you have in your Family Tree

My husband is one of the last 10 pound poms
My Nan came out as part of the Knitting industry
My Pop arrived chasing the golden dream
My paternal great grandfather arrived in the 1890's gold rush from Victoria, after arriving there for their gold rush
My paternal great grandmother followed him across
My other paternal great grandfather arrived from South Australia following the Railways
Both My paternal 2x great grandfathers arrived in chains, one then left for South Australia and became a refuge from the irish famine, he was born in Buckinghamshire
My paternal 2x great grandmother arrived as a Bride Ships girl and then left with her Convict husband to South Australia, she at least was Irish
My paternal 3x great grandparents arrived in the 1840's as Farmers

Lorraine
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Immigration to Western Australia 07 Feb 2016 12:19 #1282

• Mike Murray
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 6
Great topic for a discussion, Lorraine. Lesley and I are the only ones in our family trees...we drove our Kombi across the Nullarbor in 1974 for a short stay. Left again in 1986 but returned 10 years later and I guess we've settled now!

How about doing a piece for the June Western Ancestor about your immigration ancestors? We want to feature articles on people movement and migration in that issue to align with the theme for National Family History Month. You have a couple of months to sharpen your pencil!

Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lorraine Clarke

Immigration to Western Australia 07 Feb 2016 12:41 #1283

Hi Mike

I will endeavour to do that, a gentle reminder may be required

Lorraine

Immigration to Western Australia 07 Feb 2016 18:03 #1284

Hi Lorraine,

You certainly got me thinking on this.

My paternal grandfather came from Victoria to Kalgoorlie in the early 1900's presumably looking for gold. His father and grandparents came from Ireland to Victoria in 1854 as farmers.
His wife, my paternal grandmother arrived about the same time in Kalgoorlie (where they married in 1911). Her mother and grandparents came from Cornwall to Victoria in 1860.
My maternal grandfather came from Gaffneys Creek, Victoria, and arrived in the gold mining area of Cue in 1899. His father came from Devon, UK, to Victoria in 1856 looking for gold.
My maternal 2x great grandfather was a convict arriving in 1855. His wife and children followed about 1858.
Another maternal 2x great grandfather was an Enrolled Pensioner Guard arrived with his wife and children in1864.
The son of the convict married the daughter of the enrolled pensioner guard!
My husband's parents came to WA in 1947 from Penang after WWII

Liana
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds
You are here Forums > WAGS SIG's Forum > Western Australian > Immigration to Western Australia