Font Size

Cpanel
Forums > WAGS Forum > WAGS Forum Rules > Dating photograph
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dating photograph

Dating photograph 29 May 2019 15:11 #1966

I would be grateful for some help. I am trying to date this photograph in order to help identify the gentleman.
Is there anyone who has a skill in this area who would be prepared to give it a 'best guess'?

Many thanks

GreatGrandparents3.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Dating photograph 29 May 2019 22:42 #1967

• Ian Simon
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 10
Is there a photographer name? Does the paper have any marks/words/symbols on the reverse? What is the type of paper or card?
This can assist identifying the date.
There are reference books which can assist you. They are at the society Research Centre in may St and at the State Library, and some suburban libraries. There are also lots of help online.
Ian Simon
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valmai Selman

Dating photograph 30 May 2019 09:46 #1970

Going by the woman's outfit, I would say at best guess, this was taken in the early 1900's. Possibly around 1908ish. The high collar on her blouse and the jacket detail alludes to this.

Look at the suits about half way down this page.

www.uvm.edu/landscape/dating/clothing_an...s_clothing_women.php

Terri

Dating photograph 31 May 2019 15:38 #1971

I wish I could answer your questions, Ian, but the original photo is not mine and I only have a copy with no additional information. It has been in my possesion through a third party for several years but had meant little until my research had made more progress. Regretfully that has occured when the owner of the original photo has died so I am unable to ask further questions.

My problem is that my great grandmother, in the photo, married for the second time in 1904 following the death of her first husband in 1902. I have only a painting of her first husband as a much younger man and only this photo of ? so have no idea whether the man in the photo is her first or second husband. I'm just trying to make a best guess!

I was told of books in the WAGS library which might be able to help. I must have a look on my next visit.

My grateful thanks to you for responding to my first post on WAGS Forum. Have to say I love your photo!

Valmai

Dating photograph 31 May 2019 15:44 #1972

Thank you, Terri, for taking the troubel to respond to my first post on WAGS Forum.Your suggestions and the link are very interesting. I must also look at some of the books in the WAGS library, as the family weren't well off and great grandmother may well be wearing clothing from C1908 for many years after that date. If you are right in your thinking then this will help identify the man as Great Grandmother's second husband whom she married in 1904. Any earlier and he would be her first husband.
Valmai
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.318 seconds
You are here Forums > WAGS Forum > WAGS Forum Rules > Dating photograph