WAGS

Western Australian Genealogical Society Inc.

Font Size

Cpanel
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Early electoral rolls?

Early electoral rolls? 24 May 2012 06:33 #429

I know I should probably know this, but it's been a while since I have done any South Australian research...

I've just found mention in the Sept 18th 1884 Government Gazette (available on Ancestry.com.au) of my dastardly Joseph Brans being removed from the electoral roll for the Legislative Council and the House of Assembly on the grounds of being dead. Which would probably be fair enough! I'd like to know just how long he'd been on the rolls, so can anyone please tell me where I might find these locally? Or will I have to go to Adelaide?

Many thanks,
Robyn Hukin
(Yes I'm still looking for his birthplace, but I've got his wife's tenacious Shetland genes so won't be giving up any time soon!)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Early electoral rolls? 17 Aug 2012 02:13 #552

• Ray Smith
  • Senior
  • Thank you received: 1
Not that I know where the electoral roles can be located, however my gut reaction is the SA Government Records Office. Could be a good place to start with a request that they advise where else they may be located.

Another thought is the SA State Library.

Ray

Early electoral rolls? 26 Aug 2012 00:57 #556

Thanks Ray,

I've just returned from a research trip from SA and have had a look at the early electoral rolls in person. Yes, they are housed at SRSA, and I was fortunate to find the required time frame and geographical area. Alas no forbear in them, but at least I can now narrow the time frame for him "signing up" to about 3 years.

Thanks to Ian Simon, who reminded me there is a list of surviving rolls in Andrew Peake's latest bible edition. I did discover it is wise to check the SRSA catalogue too and just enter the area, in my case Birkenhead, and the electoral roll availability was more obvious there.

Robyn

Early electoral rolls? 12 Feb 2015 13:24 #1083

• Ian Simon
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 9
For information on SA electoral rolls refer to Andrew Guy Peake's book "South Australian History Sources" Rolls were prepared during the 1800s from 1853.

Some are on microfiche at the SA State Library - refer to the online catalogue at

www.slsa.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm

You need to visit the library to view the films.

Also go to State Records as highlighted by Robyn in the previous message.

Ian
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.273 seconds