WAGS

Western Australian Genealogical Society Inc.

Font Size

Cpanel
Forums > WAGS SIG's Forum > Scottish Group > Scottish history
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Scottish history

Scottish history 22 Oct 2016 17:26 #1445

I am currently passionate about ancient Scottish history and I'm trying to learn as much as possible (for me!). I'm trying to go back to the earliest inhabitants who would have arrived after the ice of the last glacial maximum had receded far enough that the land was again habitable.

Can anyone suggest some sources of information - scholarly material is great. I've found a few out-of-copyright books online which are good but any suggestions will be very welcome.

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Scottish history 28 Jul 2017 02:28 #1693

• Lorna McLean
  • Newby
  • Thank you received: 1
Evadne, have you the two volumes of SKENE? Out of copyright ebooks. Also PATTERSON? Which others do you have? Lorna

Scottish history 28 Jul 2017 03:46 #1694

Thank you for your suggestions Lorna. Are you also interested in Scottish history?

I downloaded Vol 3 of Skene (Land and People) some time ago and have made a note to look at the other 2 volumes. I have to confess that it is ages since I read some of Skene but your message has encouraged me to get back to it! I don't know about Patterson - please tell me more. I have been making a list of sources I think are useful including information about the history of various regions from Electric Scotland. I have also got a downloaded copy of The Thanage of Fermartyn by William Temple. The other thing I have been doing is reading about factors that would have affected whether people survived or not including climate change, famine, disease (especially bubonic plague) and war/feuding. I've also been reading reports of Archaeological findings especially regarding the Picts.

Thanks again for your help and if you would like to chat further that would be nice. Evadne

Scottish history 30 Jul 2017 08:48 #1702

• Lorna McLean
  • Newby
Our family originate pretty much from a small pocket in Argyllshire and Inverness-Scotland until arrival in South Aust and then "we" all stuck around there.

Even the animals suffered in Scottish weather and poverty and hygiene added an influence.

Then there wee disease of potato blight of Ireland which arrived in England long before they knew what it was!

Notwithstanding your study of human health over laid into disease.

I wish you luck in that confronting 'bucket' it is certainly illuminating.

If I can add to the picture just ask. Look forward to catching up. Cheers (on iPhone in cinema) bye
The following user(s) said Thank You: Evadne Spickett

Scottish history 31 Jul 2017 02:08 #1703

• Peter Downes
  • Newby
Hi Evadne,
For a slightly different perspective you might want to check out "Orkney, A Historical Guide" byCaroline Wickham-Jones. As the name suggests it focuses on the Orkneys but it does have chapters on the mesolithic, neolithic, bronze age, iron age, the Picts, the Norse and also Orkney's incorporation into Scotland. The book is more popular history rather than a scholarly work but it does provide a useful overview.
Cheers,
Pete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Evadne Spickett

Scottish history 02 Aug 2017 09:12 #1707

Thanks for your suggestion Peter. I'll try and find a copy of that book. Maybe it's in the WAGS library. Evadne
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds
You are here Forums > WAGS SIG's Forum > Scottish Group > Scottish history