WAGS

Western Australian Genealogical Society Inc.

Font Size

Cpanel
Forums > WAGS SIG's Forum > Military SIG Forum > Identification of Captain WW1
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Identification of Captain WW1

Identification of Captain WW1 24 Oct 2017 17:09 #1763

• Robyn O'Brien
  • Senior
  • Thank you received: 3
I belong to parish of St Columba South Perth. The photo attached was found in a collection at the Battye Library. The donor of the album of photos to the Battye Library found them in an old cupboard. The original owner of the album was not identified.
The photo was labelled ‘1914 Brennan Joe and Jerry.’ So I assume the dog is Joe or Jerry or the Capt. is Joe or Jerry.
Father Denis Brenan was the second parish priest at St Columba and we would love to identify the Captain with him
I have not been able to successfully identify the Captain. I did access the archives at the Batty Library but I did not find a Joe, Joseph, Jerry, Gerald who would have been a captain at the beginning of WW I. It was possibly my lack of good research skills. Can someone help me identify the Captain to the right? Many Thanks, Robyn O'Brien

BrennenJoandGerry002a.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Identification of Captain WW1 29 Oct 2017 15:36 #1772

• Chris Loudon
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 8
Robyn,

I believe that the man on the right of the photo is Captain Edward Thomas BRENNAN (Later Lt-Colonel).

He was the Medical Officer in the original 11th Battalion enlistments and is in the front row with the Officers in the 11th Battalion Khufu Pyramid photo see - 11th Battalion website image here

Captain Brennan is ID number 698

The caption on the image image you have in the SLWA album says Joe, Gerry & Brennan 1914.

So, the first man is Joe, Gerry is the dog & Brennan is Captain Brennan as above & below.

The image in the SLWA album was taken in 1914, also confirmed by comparing the the images of Capt Brennan below.

The following photos are all of Capt Brennan.

BrennanEdwardThomasCapt-Lt-Col-comb2s.jpg

Top row - 1st left is him in 1914 as shown in the newspaper of the day with the other 11th Battalion Officers; 2nd (middle) is Lt. Col Brennan ca 1918; right is taken from the Khufu image (with the moe)
Bottom row - left is from another of the images in the album at the SLWA taken at Blackboy Hill; middle is from your image; right is another of the images from the SLWA album.

The following image is of Capt (later Lt. Colonel) Denis Aloysius Brennan of the Chaplain Corps. He doesn't appear to be the man in the Joe, Gerry, Brennan image.

BrennanDenisAlousiusChaplainCorps-a.jpg

Denis Brennan did not enlist until May 1915 so would not have been in uniform in 1914 when the image in question was taken.

Consequently, I don't think that the1st man in the photo is Denis Brennan, but rather one of the other members of the St Columba's congregation who joined up in 1914 - first name Joe. I don't know who he is at this stage, but there are other photos of "Joe" in the SLWA Album who may be (probably is) the same man

If you do find out who he is please let us know.
Cheers,
Chris

Identification of Captain WW1 30 Oct 2017 00:12 #1773

• Robyn O'Brien
  • Senior
  • Thank you received: 3
Thank you Chris. Now I am totally confused. It was my understanding the gentleman on the far left is Father Dennis Brennan, the 2nd parish priest of St Columba, South Perth, after WWI, who signed up for the war while he was priest in Narrogin. I was told that the other two ( dog and Capt.) was Jo or Jerry.
All this gives me more to consider and research. This photo doesn't appear to be a photo of Father Brennan at all! I will need to get to the bottom of this . St Columba has just had it's centenary celebration. I don't know how long St Columba has had this photo and assumed the chap on the left is Father Brennan.

Many Thanks, Robyn

Identification of Captain WW1 30 Oct 2017 01:20 #1774

• Chris Loudon
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 8
Robyn,

It is possible, but not yet certain on my behalf, that the 1st man is Captain Joseph Peter LALOR.

Capt Lalor was 12th Battalion but enlisted in Perth, his attestation/enlistment form was signed of by the Medical Officer at Blackboy Hill on 5 October 1914, and that MO was Captain E T BRENNAN.

From what I have gleaned in quick search, both were present when the Archbishop celebrated mass at Blackboy Hill on Sunday 13th September 1914 (assuming that it is the same Capt Lalor)

This is an image of Capt Lalor - he was killed in action on 25 April 1914.

LalorJosephPeter-12Bnkia150425-d.png

Crop of Joe in the SLWA image

Brennan-JoeJerryBrennan1914-JoeLalor-qry.jpg

Hope this helps
Cheers,
Chris
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds
You are here Forums > WAGS SIG's Forum > Military SIG Forum > Identification of Captain WW1