Cpanel
Forums > FHWA SIGs Forums > Irish SIG > Visit to Callan Co Kilkenny next year
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Visit to Callan Co Kilkenny next year

Visit to Callan Co Kilkenny next year 05 Dec 2015 15:27 #1241

Hello
Just starting to delve into my Irish ancestors. I am going to Ireland next year and would be grateful for any suggestion/pointers in how to make the best use of my time.
I know the following:
Mary Sarsfield born in Callan workhouse in 1874
Married James Hogan in Callan in 1892
Martin born in 1892 [early baby!!]. Father a Soldier.
I am trying to work out which James Hogan is mine in Callan - there are 2!! :angry:
Mary is on the Irish 1901 Census with my grandfather Edmund [married but no James].
They are all catholic.
Going around in circles so would be grateful for any pointers to further my research.

Many thanks.
Maggie
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Visit to Callan Co Kilkenny next year 06 Dec 2015 14:54 #1243

• Jenni Ibrahim
  • Expert
  • Thank you received: 27
Hi Maggie
To have pinned down your search to a particular county with several possible people puts you at a distinct advantage over many others on the path of Irish research. Well done!

Have you made contact with anyone from the local family history or heritage centre near Callan? One good way is the Ireland Reaching Out website, www.irelandxo.ie . You post a message to your parish or county page. Somone locally can give you information about visiting the area and where records are available. Someone from one of your families just might see it too.

The Irish Special Interest Group next meets at WAGS at May Street Bayswater on Sun 17 Jan at 2pm. Not sure whether you are a WAGS member in Perth, but visitors are welcome. You can raise the issue you are facing and seek advice from the many experienced members present. We will also be running a workshop to identify strategies members have found useful in trying to discover their ancestor's Irish birthplace. Maybe you have ideas and experiences to share. How have you tracked your two James Hogans? Did you use RootsIreland.ie or the new Catholic parish records at the National Library of Ireland?
Hope to meet you in January, or perhaps later. We also meet in April, July and October. Details on the WAGS webpage.

Best wishes
Jenni Ibrahim
Convenor
Irish Special Interest Groups
WAGS

Visit to Callan Co Kilkenny next year 08 Dec 2015 18:52 #1244

Hello Jenni
Many thanks for your quick and very helpful reply. I am a WAGS member and will try and come along next year.
Think I need to review exactly what I do know and put on my Sherlock Holmes hat [wish Benedict C was here to help!!] and decide what to do next.
I was feeling frustrated but after your email feeling a bit smug :whistle: that I can pinpoint the Sarsfields to Callan, which isn't a huge place!
Thank you again, have a great Christmas and hopefully will see you in January.
Maggie
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.317 seconds
You are here Forums > FHWA SIGs Forums > Irish SIG > Visit to Callan Co Kilkenny next year