FHWA

Family History Western Australia - Researching Worldwide

Font Size

Cpanel
Forums > WAGS Forum > General Topics > My roadblock is John H Byrne - Where do I look??
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: My roadblock is John H Byrne - Where do I look??

My roadblock is John H Byrne - Where do I look?? 06 Sep 2019 12:02 #1996

• Jolyon Russell
  • Newby
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi everyone,

I am new here, my first post, and trying to search deeper into my family.

I know that Eliza MINCHIN (arrived on the Caroline Oct 19 1829) married John Hamilton (or Hambledon?) BYRNE in 1841

So who was John BYRNE? Where is he from? Who was his mother and father? Where did he arrive from, on what ship and what date? His sons death certificate states that his father was an engineer, so the family, in 1867, thought the father of the deceased was an engineer and put that on the death certificate..... the only hint I have.

Where do I start looking? He was obviously in the colony in 1841 but how and when did he arrive?

I see that I can order his sons Birth Certificate, Francis Hambledon (or hamilton) BYRNE but as I am overseas it may take some time. Same with the marriage certificate.

I am located in New Zealand so it is awkward to proceed with this over this distance - your guidance would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Jolyon Russell

FYI, my line is Eliza MINCHIN and John H BYRNE to Francis H BYRNE and Catherine KEANE to Francis Joseph WILLIAMS and Anne Marcella BYRNE To Lillian WILLIAMS and Ronald Mayne KNOWLES to Monica Ann WILLIAMS (or later adopted by Lillians husband Mr DAVIS) and then to me
The administrator has disabled public write access.

My roadblock is John H Byrne - Where do I look?? 06 Sep 2019 14:28 #1998

• Neil Bradley
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4
Dorothy Minchin-Comm's book "The book of Minchin" has a chapter on John and Eliza. Dorothy states that he jumped ship from the Warrior in 1840 saying that he was Canadian which ma or may not be true..

My roadblock is John H Byrne - Where do I look?? 06 Sep 2019 16:01 #2001

• Jolyon Russell
  • Newby
Thank you for the fast reply, so helpful!

I have looked up the book and ordered it.

Where do you think she got her information? (Hopefully mentioned in the book)

Can you suggest where I would look up this ship Warrior and if there is a record of his jumping ship? Would the local authorities been told of the ship jumper? In a newspaper or similar?

Also, any idea how to locate his death cert and or burial place? I am a learner and it appears I have to look in Western Australia instead of Myheritge or Ancestry

My roadblock is John H Byrne - Where do I look?? 06 Sep 2019 16:11 #2003

• Peter Downes
  • Newby
If you google "The bicentennial dictionary of western australians" you should be able to find a link the the friends of the Battye library website which has a scanned copy of the book and it includes a brief entry on your guy. The dictionary is a great reference on WA pioneers and although it was compiled with the best information available at the time it pre-dates internet research and so be a little careful with the info it contains.

My roadblock is John H Byrne - Where do I look?? 07 Sep 2019 04:27 #2007

• Jolyon Russell
  • Newby
Thanks Peter

Pure Gold — exactly the sort of reference I did not know existed but is so useful now I have been introduced to it. I will screen shot each persons reference and paste as a photo to my tree for all to find.

Thank you for your help

My roadblock is John H Byrne - Where do I look?? 07 Sep 2019 23:44 #2008

• Ian Simon
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 10
No Warrior arrived in WA around 1840-1. However a Warrior arrived Glenelg, SA, on 18 April 1840 and departed to Ceylon June 29 1840. A passenger list is at:

www.slsa.ha.sa.gov.au/bsa/1840Warrior.htm

I cannot find mention of a Byrne in the passengers or as a deserter. Searched Trove.

My roadblock is John H Byrne - Where do I look?? 08 Sep 2019 02:29 #2009

• Jolyon Russell
  • Newby
Thanks Ian,

Really appreciated

I was about to ask here where I look up all ships that arrived in 1840 - you found something that would have taken me days or weeks because I have to learn where the info is and then how to search it.

The Warrior was a regular passenger ship to WA ports from what I see and I think descendants who provided the information on Byrne just mixed it up.

This guy is a ghost

Can’t find a death cert for him either, nor a grave. ........ but he did go to the gold fields and Eliza his wife lived until 1904

My roadblock is John H Byrne - Where do I look?? 08 Sep 2019 13:21 #2011

• Ian Simon
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 10
Checking WA ship arrivals in the FHWA databases Warriors arrived in Freo in 1830 and 1865 with none in between. The only 1841 Warrior I found was the one arriving SA in 1840.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jolyon Russell
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds
You are here Forums > WAGS Forum > General Topics > My roadblock is John H Byrne - Where do I look??