WAGS

Western Australian Genealogical Society Inc.

Font Size

Cpanel
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Luke Bunter

Luke Bunter 05 Oct 2016 15:48 #1427

My name is Patricia Shaw
My great great grandfather was Luke Bunter, He was born in Bradpole Dorset England in 1812 and Baptised in 1814. He joined the Royal Marines at the age of 19 where he r3mained until 1855. when he applied for and was granted a pension. He later enlisted as an Enrolled Pensioner Guard. He married Mary Jane Simmonds and they had 3 children born in the UK. The youngest James was born in October 1856 and he was baptised in Sherborne Dorset in December 1856. Then the next child was Grace who was born at Fremantle on 28th July 1859. He had 3 children born at Fremantle and one at Port Gregory, the remainder at Greenough.
I can find no trace of him coming to Australia. He is mentioned in Frank Broomehalls book "The Veterens".

I cannot find any shipping records.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please. It would be very much appreciated
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Luke Bunter 12 Oct 2016 13:04 #1435

• Ian Barnes
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 8
Hi Patricia

Can I first say our group next meets this Saturday 15 Oct 2016. You are most welcome to join us.
Further, you can email us via our contact details on this site.

On a quick check, I can't find which ship he arrived on, which is a common problem with the many ships.
Trove could provide details for him.

I know David Bunter is also searching for information, so perhaps you could contact him as well.
I have little information to add at this stage, but will ask around.

Regards
Ian
Convenor EPG

Luke Bunter 13 Oct 2016 10:53 #1436

• Ian Barnes
  • Administrator
From our Admiral - who is having computer problems:-

Hi Patricia

Many thanks for your email. I'm not sure if you've already received an answer to this email.
I'm part of the Enrolled Special Interest Group and we have been researching a good number of men from this group as a part of the "Ships Project".

I'll give you any information that I have..
As the Royal Marines documents aren't as comprehensive as those men from the British Army it is sometime difficult to pin point their arrival.

So far we have been able to pinpoint his arrival slightly.
As he was discharged in 1855 and then paid pension in England between November 1855 and February 1858 (in the Salisbury district)
his departure must be after this period.
Logically then he could have traveled on the "Lord Raglan: which departed England 1st June 1858.

This disagrees with information in Rica Ericksons book that states James was born at sea in 1856.
Much information in this book has been gathered from various sources and in some cases is incorrect.

There isn't a shipping list for the EPG on board the "Lord Raglan".
There is a Surgeon's Log however, this only shows names of those treated by the Surgeon during the trip. (Not mentioned there).

If I can help with other information please let me know.
Margaret Hickey

Luke Bunter - relative 18 Oct 2016 18:06 #1442

• Ian Barnes
  • Administrator
Please contact me offline
for the contact details for a WA relative:-

enrolled - pensioner - guards @ wags.org.au-remove spaces

per GO
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds