WAGS

Western Australian Genealogical Society Inc.

Font Size

Cpanel
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Y Search

Y Search 10 Dec 2017 08:12 #1791

Have YDna match zero separation via Y Search
and wish to contact match person who has ancestor 2 generations
prior my findings so far.
Initiated message but site will not send to contact.
Has anyone come across this previously and if so
do they have any knowledge re how to proceed.
Regards
Terrence Ryan
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Y Search 11 Jan 2018 09:20 #1806

• Graham Wilkie
  • Newby
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello Terrance
I have never had much faith in the Ysearch results and have not tried to contact any possibilities. The tests are input from many sources and some from very early tests in DNA when a very small number of markers were tested.

I undertook the Y-111 test at FTDNA and loaded the results to Ysearch via their direct link. Before writing this response I today checked again and it seems that I don't match anyone within a genetic distance of 6 with 15 or more markers, but if I reduce the search to a genetic distance of 6 with 14 or more markers I get in excess of 1,000 matches, and 15 with a genetic match of 0. Mmmm, this is an extremely low number of markers to put any effort into checking further with those testers. Looking for matches of such a low number of markers is likely to give many false positives.

e.g. When I look at my matches at FTDNA Y matches at:
- 111 markers I get the following: 1 person at 6 Gen Dist. 1 at 9 and 1 at 10.
- 67 markers I get the following: 1 person at 6 Gen Dist, 1 at 4, 1 at 5, 3 at 6 and 2 at 7.
As I go further down the number of markers the number of matches goes up but this can be misleading. My closest match is "Richard Gordon Schwartz" who shows a genetic distance of 6 at 111 markers (this is a very long time ago in the past) but 2 at 25 markers which would indicate more recent link but this is wrong. Genetic distance to him was:
2 at 25 markers
4 at 37 markers
4 at 67 markers
6 at 111 markers
I have been in contact with Richard and it became a dead end with him only being able to trace back to 1765 with no glean of how we might be related: we need to go back many more decades.

If you haven't already, I suggest that you look for the largest possible number of markers matching you and if this is a really low number then don't put too much faith in those results. If you have tested with FTDNA then try more intensive searching there and upgrade your marker tests to 111 if you can afford it.

I wish you well in your research

Regards

Graham Wilkie

Y Search 11 Jan 2018 10:06 #1807

• Graham Wilkie
  • Newby
Whoops! It appears I was searching Ysearch with someone else's Ysearch UserID. I don't know this could have happened and I don't know this person. Lesson, check that you are logged in as yourself.

ON my own user id, when I now search at Ysearch on 25 markers or above I get 8 matched ranging from genetic distance of 4 to 6 and ranging from 25 to 37 markers, but there are many more with a lower number of markers so my other comments still apply about using a higher number of markers to increase the confidence in matches.

If you are not getting a response from the tester via Ysearch it maybe that the test was done many years ago and the contact details are no longer valid. In your matches it should show who that person "tested with" and if it is Family Tree DNA try looking up your results with FTDNA (assuming you have tested there), to see if you can find them there..

All the best

Graham Wilkie

Y Search 16 Jan 2018 04:09 #1808

• Graham Wilkie
  • Newby
Hello Terrance and everyone else.

I could not find any support function at Ysearch so I raised at ticket with FTDNA (whom seemed to now be providing support for Ysearch) about my using someone else's user-id. I got the following reply from them:

"Thank you for your email. FTDNA has not been providing support or maintenance for Y Search or Mitosearch for several years now, and unfortunately, there is not another company providing support or maintenance for them at this time either. While some people are still able to access their old accounts, there are a number of errors that people have experienced when attempting to create new accounts or use these now archaic websites. We do not have an estimated date of when these errors will be resolved, and current plans are to eventually take down Ysearch and Mitosearch entirely."

It therefore seems that Ysearch may have been abandoned so this may provide some clue to you not being able to contact your matching donor.

For your information

regards

Graham Wilkie
  • Page:
Moderators: Cate Pearce
Time to create page: 0.269 seconds
You are here Forums > WAGS SIG's Forum > DNA SIG > Y Search