Forums > WAGS SIG's Forum > DNA SIG > Postage of DNA kits
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Postage of DNA kits

Postage of DNA kits 15 Jul 2017 06:16 #1678

• Cate Pearce
  • Thank you received: 15
Regarding the postage of Family Tree DNA kits.

I have been asked recently about whether returning the Family Finder test in the padded yellow envelope provided is a "letter", which costs $2.95, or a "parcel", which costs $15.85. It is acceptable to send it as a letter because of the weight and also because it will fit into the letter template that the post office uses. If the post office you go to insists it is a parcel, go to a different post office! The general consensus is that post offices will accept it as a letter.

Has anyone had any problems with this?

Cheers,
Cate
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Postage of DNA kits 15 Jul 2017 07:42 #1680

• Robyn O'Brien
  • Senior
  • Thank you received: 3
I have just sent a personal reply to Cate re the above. I will repeat this to the forum
Cate
I have just returned a DNA kit for my son to FTDNA last week. They[FTDNA} specifically asked me to send it as a PARCEL and not a letter. Obviously you have a variety of costs [which could go up to $85 odd] to choose from at the PO. I chose the $25 odd price and it took a week to arrive at its destination.
Regards
Robyn

Postage of DNA kits 15 Jul 2017 08:09 #1681

I sent test kits to FTDNA several months ago as letters, and had no problems. However, I subsequently read the Australia Post definition of a letter which includes the following.

Contents of a Small envelope Small letters should not contain stiff objects such as bottle tops, pens, items enclosed in a hard case, and so on. High-speed machine processing could damage such objects, or the objects could damage other articles.

Presumably this is why FTDNA says the test kits should be sent by Parcel Post.

Regards

Dennis

Postage of DNA kits 31 Jul 2017 03:33 #1705

• Cate Pearce
  • Thank you received: 15
Good point Dennis.

The consensus seems to be that although these kits should be posted as parcels, most people are sending them as letters with apparent consent of the post offices where they are sending them. However, some other people report that their post office does not allow it to be sent as a parcel, so there seems to be quite some confusion within the post offices themselves.
  • Page:
Moderators: Cate Pearce
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds
You are here Forums > WAGS SIG's Forum > DNA SIG > Postage of DNA kits