WAGS

Western Australian Genealogical Society Inc.

Font Size

Cpanel
Forums > WAGS SIG's Forum > DNA SIG > Important changes to AncestryDNA kit management
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Important changes to AncestryDNA kit management

Important changes to AncestryDNA kit management 15 Jul 2017 02:34 #1671

• Cate Pearce
  • Thank you received: 15
AncestryDNA is now making it compulsory for each test taker to have their own kit assigned to their own Ancestry account. This means that multiple kit admin by one person is no longer possible, although if you admin multiple kits already, you won't be affected - it only applies to new kits. However, if you want to continue to be in charge of the kits you administer, this can be done by making you the Manager of another person's kit. This is a very hot topic on DNA forums at the moment - questions welcome.

Enhancing Collaboration and Roles on DNA Results

Cheers,
Cate
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Important changes to AncestryDNA kit management 15 Jul 2017 02:44 #1672

• Robyn O'Brien
  • Senior
  • Thank you received: 3
Kate, will this mean every kit who must have an account has to pay an annual subscription to Ancestry.com?. And if so this will slow down people choosing to have their DNA through Ancestry.
Robyn

Important changes to AncestryDNA kit management 15 Jul 2017 02:45 #1673

• Neil Bradley
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2
Cate
I have two kits which I am hoping to use for two of my dad's siblings. My reading of the Ancestry spiel suggests that they can open their own free Ancestry accounts and once the results are in, hopefully make me an administrator. Does that make sense? Presumably those kits would not then be able to be linked to a tree which reduces their value quite a bit.

Important changes to AncestryDNA kit management 15 Jul 2017 03:12 #1674

• Cate Pearce
Hi Neil,

Yes, each test taker needs to open their own account, but in actuality you can do this for them. And then, yes, once the account is set up, you get the new account owner to make yourself "Manager". Or if you set it up yourself, you can just operate the other account.

However, from what I've noticed previously, there also has to be a dedicated email address for each new account as well, which makes it harder to set up new accounts for older members of the family who don't have email! I'm not 100% sure about this, but I've noticed when I have changed other people's account email address to mine (in order to help them download their raw data and other things) I can't change their address to the one attached to my own Ancestry account.

As far as linking to a tree, even if the person doing the test doesn't have a regular Ancestry subscription, you can still upload a tree to their DNA account.

Cheers,
Cate

Important changes to AncestryDNA kit management 15 Jul 2017 03:17 #1675

• Cate Pearce
Hi Robyn,

No, it doesn't mean that you need to take out a paid Ancestry subscription. Each test taker just needs to register an Ancestry account, which is free with the DNA test. However, if you don't have an Ancestry subscription, you cannot access all of the available information related to the DNA test; for example, although you can upload a tree to your DNA account, you can't see other people's trees that you match! Rip off!!

Cheers,
Cate

Important changes to AncestryDNA kit management 15 Jul 2017 04:43 #1676

• Jenni Ibrahim
  • Expert
  • Thank you received: 26
I think if your relative has no email account and is not interested/ able to manage one, you can create an account for them, just for genealogy say a gmail account, then set it up so it forwards all their messages to you. Any reason why that would not work? Creating the account might require a confirmation from a mobile number, but I imagine that can be got around too.

Jenni Ibrahim

Important changes to AncestryDNA kit management 15 Jul 2017 05:07 #1677

• Cate Pearce
Hi Jenni - yes, I agree, that would work just fine. It's just such damn nuisance that we are being forced through the hoops by Ancestry!

Important changes to AncestryDNA kit management 15 Jul 2017 06:19 #1679

I am tending to use My Heritage a lot these days. I had 3 DNA tests with family tree and easily managed to transfer data to My Heritage.My daughter is a an approved member of My Heritage site. Recently my daughter had an autosomal test with family tree and this too is now on My Heritage at no cost to me or her. They are aware of her residential contact but for this DNA arrangement they agree to use my email address. When I log in to My Heritage it shows both of us s separate contacts. My Heritage is an Israeli Company. Last night I was talking to their support team about a couple of minor problems. They told me that they too are now offering DNA tests at a much cheaper rate than Family Tree or Ancestry. They also told me that they consider they exist primarily as a genealogical company using DNA as a support to this whereas Ancestry are leaning towards DNA or nothing. Regards Mike Kiely

Important changes to AncestryDNA kit management 31 Jul 2017 03:29 #1704

• Cate Pearce
Thanks Mike for these observations.
It seems that My Heritage will indeed be an important DNA resource for genealogy in the future, although at the present time I agree with your strategy of transferring results over to them from other testing companies and do not recommend using them as the primary testing company just yet because their database is still very small. In another few years when their database has grown, it will become a major player, I think.
  • Page:
Moderators: Cate Pearce
Time to create page: 0.284 seconds
You are here Forums > WAGS SIG's Forum > DNA SIG > Important changes to AncestryDNA kit management