Benifits of being a WAGS Associate Member
There are numerous benefits to becoming an Associate Member of the Western Australian Genealogical Society, some of these are listed below:
- An Associate Member’s letterhead may include the term “Associate Member of the Western Australian Genealogical Society”. This can assist you when seeking support from local or state funding projects.
- The Nominated Representative may contact WAGS for general advice on family history related matters.
- The Nominated Representative can access the Members Only Area (MOA) of the WAGS website. This section provides quality data, mainly, but not exclusively, of a Western Australian nature.
- The Associate Member can have a page of their own on the WAGS website
- The Nominated Representative can subscribe to the WAGS mailing list WAGSNet and WAGS Forums, where they can place research queries and view other people’s queries and responses.
- The WAGSNET mailing list, Forums and WAGS Blog may be used to advertise your family history events.
- The Associate Member can advertise events in the WAGS Event Calendar.
- Upon production of a current membership card, the Nominated Representative may use the WAGS library and research facilities during normal opening hours.
- The WAGS library has dedicated computers with subscriptions for a variety of sites such as Ancestry, British Origins, British Newspapers Archives, Find My Past (UK, Ireland and Australia), The Genealogist and Scotlands People. The Nominated Representative can pre-book these computers to access these websites. (Refer to WAGS website library section for complete list of subscription sites.)
- The Nominated Representative can attend WAGS events at member’s prices. Courses include those for beginners, specialised courses, all day seminars, lunchtime discussion meetings and special events. (see WAGS Event Calendar for coming events.)
- The Nominated Representative may attend any of the WAGS Special Interest Groups (SIGs) meetings, most of whom produce regular publications, either online or as a newsletter. The Nominated Representative can receive copies of the WAGS Special Interest Group’s newsletters on request.
- Current WAGS SIG's include Computer, Convict, Enrolled Pensioner Guards, European, India and South East Asia, Irish, London & South of England, North of England, Scottish, South Australian, Swan River Pioneers, The Master Genealogist, Victorian and Western Australian Groups.
- The Nominated Representative will receive a copy of the WAGS quarterly journal, Western Ancestor, and can submit reports (including notice of your coming events) for free publication in Western Ancestor.
- The Associate Member may request a WAGS member to speak at their events.